Here is what I made recently, creamy, delicious, the roasted chestnuts make this soup full of flavour, scrumptious soup! But sorry without any accurate measurement! That’s what I always like make soup. I like to use what’s on hand, then add seasoning to taste. Just feel free to create what you like to cook.
The main ingredient is the chestnuts, it is the harvest time and ready to pick from October every year. But not any chestnut trees around our area only can buy from a supermarket.
All the ingredients quantity are up to you, follow the easy steps below to roast the chestnuts. Wash and chop the cauliflower, I like to use the white stalks as well (I don’t like to waste any food), they’re full of flavour anyway! You can use one medium size of a carrot, just slice it. About the ginger and chilli are definitely up to you now, I knew some people may like it weak or strong, so adjust the quantity by yourself. Adding cashew milk will give the soup so creamy and tasteful, trust me! Miso paste is optional as well, but give the soup another depth of flavour. Butter will make the soup creamier, but you can skip it anyway.
Creamy Cauliflower & Roasted Chestnut Soup
- 1/4-1/2 Cauliflower
- Cashew milk, or any other dairy-free milk
- Water or vegetable stock, more or less
- Miso, for more flavour, optional
- A small of Butter for creamier, can skip
- Salt & Pepper
For the Chestnuts:
1. Start by pre-heating your oven to 200°C (Gas mark 6/400°F).
2. Wash the chestnuts and rinse. With the tip of a sharp knife, cut a cross into the rounded side of each chestnut.
3. Place the chestnuts, cross side up, in a small baking tray.
4. Once the oven is ready, pop the tray of chestnuts inside and roast for around 30 minutes until the skins have burst open and you can see the pale flesh inside.
5. Remove from the oven and leave until just cool enough to handle.
6. Working quickly, peel the outer skin and pale inner skin from the chestnut and discard, eating just the sweet flesh inside.
For the soup:
1.) Put a tablespoon of rapeseeds oil or butter in a frying pan over medium-high heat, add the washed and chopped cauliflower florets, carrot, ginger, and chilli, fry until they just have changed to deeper colour and you can smell fragrant. Add the other ingredients with the roasted chestnuts, cook and bring it to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for another 15 to 20 minutes. Adjust the seasoning for your liking. Off heat! Cooldown a while and blend in a blender until smooth. Serve and enjoy!